Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

my oldest son rhys

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1my oldest son rhys Empty my oldest son rhys Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:59 am

welshmel

welshmel
forum promotor
forum promotor

my oldest son rhys Rhys
my oldest son rhys Angel-1

my oldest son rhys had a disablity called mobious syndrom
he was 6 .

Mobius Syndrome

Mobius syndrome, a rare genetic disorder characterized by facial paralysis, is caused by the absence or underdevelopment of the 6th and 7th cranial nerves. These nerves control eye movements and facial expression.

In newborns, the first symptom is an inability to suck. Excessive drooling and strabismus (crossed eyes) may occur. Other symptoms may include lack of facial expression; inability to smile; feeding, swallowing, and choking problems; eye sensitivity; motor delays; high or cleft palate; hearing problems; and speech difficulties. Deformities of the tongue, jaw, and limbs, such as club foot and missing or webbed fingers, may also occur.

Most patients have low muscle tone, especially in the upper body. Mental retardation may also occur. As children get older, lack of facial expression and inability to smile become the dominant visible symptoms.

Mobius syndrome may be accompanied by Pierre Robin syndrome, a disease in which there is an abnormally small jaw, downward displacement of the tongue, and a soft, cleft palate. It may also be accompanied by Poland's anomaly, a disease characterized by abnormal development of one side of the chest and limb deformities.

There is no specific course of treatment for Mobius syndrome. Treatment is supportive and symptomatic. Infants may require feeding tubes or special bottles to maintain sufficient nutrition. Surgery may correct strabismus and improve limb and jaw deformities. Physical and speech therapy may improve motor skills and coordination, and help to better control speaking and eating abilities.

Plastic reconstructive surgery may be beneficial in some individuals. Also, in a few cases, nerve and muscle transfers (microvascular muscle transplant) to the corners of the mouth have been performed to provide some ability to smile.

There is no cure for Mobius syndrome. With proper care and treatment many individuals have normal life expectancy, in spite of the severe impairments that characterize the disorder.

2my oldest son rhys Empty Re: my oldest son rhys Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:10 pm

pschofield

global moderator
global moderator

oh wow hun that must be hard on u

hugs

Paula
xxx

3my oldest son rhys Empty Re: my oldest son rhys Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:27 pm

mand

mand

thank you for sharing that with us, sending you big cyber hugs xxxxxxx